Ely Cathedral as we approached from the train station. Notice the green pasture in front.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Some Thoughts about Green Pastures

Thursday, June 2

As the time for this 2-month sabbatical approached, our lives seemed to get busier, and I began to think about and pray for some "green pastures and still waters." That is why I named the blog "Green Pastures." But once we got here there was so much to see and do to get settled, and life did not really slow down for me. The bikes we rented actually helped to speed things up, so we could get our shopping done more quickly. It reminds me of the way computers speed things up, so we can get our work done more quickly, and hopefully have a little time for enjoying life. But they don't always work right, so often they eat up the time they saved. And it seems that often we just keep speeding up, stuffing more and more into our days.

This was happening with me. So two weeks ago, we just happened to be riding our bikes through a meadow. That is what they call it here, but it had cattle gaps, so I think it is all right to call it a green pasture too. And we were riding along on a beautiful evening, and the next thing I know, I am lying down in the green pasture. Alan says that is not right, because I was really on some asphalt. But regardless, that lying down in the semi-green pasture (they were badly in need of some rain here), has really slowed me down.

Shortly after I got out of the hospital where they repaired my broken right elbow, I was talking with a new friend here in Cambridge. I told her that I had been having trouble slowing down since we arrived, and that I felt like this might possibly be God's way of encouraging me in that direction. She said, "Oh no, God didn't have anything to do with it. It was just an accident." I told her that I didn't agree and we changed the subject, rather than getting into an argument.

But as I have reflected on the conversation, I am more convinced than ever that God at least, allowed my accident. He may have even caused it. Lamentations 3:32 says, "For though he brings grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love." And even more, he plans to use it for good in my life. I guess my friend wanted to get God "off the hook." But in doing so, she is left with a god who has no power to keep his promises, no power to prevent accidents from happening. What a comfort it is to me to know that the God who made me in my mother's womb and sent His son to die for me, still cares about the details of my life. And He has the power to do something about it. He promises to never leave me or forsake me. And He will be with me through the good and the bad. He has not promised me an easy life, but He has promised to be there, helping, strengthening, encouraging and using me. I believe He has the power to prevent accidents, and has done just that many times in my life. And yet this time, for some good reason, He did not.

It has definitely slowed me down. In many ways it has added to Alan's load. I am sad about that, but I trust that God will use this situation for good in his life also. Even with all the extra work he has, he has slowed down some.

So when I prayed for "green pastures and still waters," I had something totally different in mind. I guess I just wasn't thinking "outside the box."

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of yall and continuing to pray for yall...that this would be a restful and encouraging time. We miss you at Faith though.

    ReplyDelete