Ely Cathedral as we approached from the train station. Notice the green pasture in front.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Last Day in the UK

July 4, 2011


Our last day before heading home was spent in travelling to Manchester, but we made some very fun and interesting stops along the way.  It was July 4 -- Alan's birthday!  It did not feel like either - no barbeque, watermelon or fireworks, and I forgot about it being Alan's birthday until Bob Sinclair called to say "Happy Birthday!"

Our travels took us south on the A591 through the Lake District. This area produced several good poets, the best known being William Wordsworth.  We visited the village of Grasmere, where he lived much of his life, and Dove Cottage, where he lived during his most productive writing years.  It was so quaint, and I agree with Wayne Herring, who told Alan that he believed that he could write poetry too if he lived around all that beauty. However, I do not envy their way of life.  Wordsworth's sister kept a detailed  journal of what life was like--sponge bathing occasionally with a small bowl of water that was then poured back into a jar and kept for the next bath, washing hair every six weeks or so, frequent toothaches.  I am afraid that would take away from the beauty of the surroundings.


Wordsworth's home - Dove Cottage





view from the back garden of Dove Cottage

















Then we went to Hawkshead, where we visited a museum in the former law office of Beatrix Potter's husband.  We have been Beatrix Potter fans ever since our kids were little.  We got to see many of the original drawings that she did for some of her books.  We also saw letters that she had written to friends, young and old.     Hawkshead is a small village and now has many shops selling Peter Rabbit souvenirs.  There were also places for coffee or tea, so we stopped and had coffee and a piece of cake to celebrate Alan's birthday!



Hawkshead
lovely spot in Hawkshead
Alan picked a slice of the chocolate one! 


























 Then we went to Near Sawrey, which was "close by", and visited Hill Top Farms, where Beatrix lived before her marriage.  After her marriage she moved to a house across the road which was larger.  She said Hill Top was too small for two people.  But she visited it often, as it was on her farm and she was very involved in the work of the farm.  It is also where she did most of her writing and painting.  The desk at which she worked, as well as most of the furnishings and artwork are still there.  And the garden was beautiful!  The National Trust keeps it up just as she would have.  And we saw little rabbits running around in the garden too.

While we were in Beatrix's bedroom, we saw a glass case with a bible in it.  Alan asked one of the guides if Beatrix had been a Christian.  She said that Beatrix was a Unitarian,  and did not believe in the Trinity, but that she had left instructions that her bible be left open by her bed to Psalm 23 when she died.  It is still there.  The woman added, "She was a shepherd, you know."


Hilltop Farm




Garden at Hilltop


Could it be Peter, Flopsy and Mopsy?
Wisteria on the house still blooming in July


Flower gardens at Hilltop
House across the street where Beatrix lived after her marriage




Over the last week, I have been reading the book of John.  That morning I had read chapter 10, where Jesus refers to himself as the good shepherd.  In verses 11 - 15 he says:

       I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.


So, at the end of our trip I was once again reminded that God is my Shepherd -- a really good shepherd, the best shepherd, who will never leave me and will guide me, protecting me, and using even what looks like evil for good, all to His glory!



I am also reminded that I am married to a shepherd.  Alan has been called by God to shepherd God's flock at Faith Presbyterian Church.  And it is time for him to go home and resume his shepherding. We are thankful for the time we had away, but we are ready to go home.  Thanks Faith PCA for sending us!  And thank you Lord for going with us every step of the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment